Church History

The French Protestant (Huguenot) Church of Charleston, South Carolina has an active congregation that meets for worship every Sunday at 10:30 a.m.  All are welcome to attend services which are based on the liturgies of Neufchatel and Vallangin dated 1737 and 1772.  An annual French service is held in April to commemorate the Promulgation of the Edict of Nantes. Despite many struggles, the church has survived for well over 300 years.

Most of the early records of the Church have been lost.  Some of the extant records, including a list of those buried in the graveyard and records dating from 1859-1936, have been published by the Society.  Although the Huguenot Church and the Huguenot Society of South Carolina are not officially connected, the Society houses the church’s records, and a service in October commemorating the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes is hosted by both.  For more information about the French Protestant (Huguenot) Church of Charleston, please visit their website at www.huguenot-church.org.