“The Last Huguenot Church in London”
HSSC received a pamphlet outlining an appeal for donations to refurbish and remodel the Soho Square church which was completed in 1898, a “direct descendant of the first ‘Strangers’ church founded in 1550 for French and Dutch refugees and the oldest Protestant exiles’ church in England. During the late 17th and early to mid-18th centuries, there were more than 20 such churches in London. When the present church was built in Soho Square, it was the only French-speaking non-conformist protestant church remaining in London. It is still an active place of worship and research today. Its archives include account books, record of relief of the poor, apprenticeship indentures and the Livres des Temoignages (registers of members admitted to the church which provide documentation for many of our ancestors).
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or write to:
THE FRENCH PROTESTANT CHURCH OF LONDON, 8-9 Soho Square – London W1D 3QD UNITED KINGDOM.
The church’s website is www.egliseprotestantelondres.org.uk/en/